Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Tribeca Film Festival knocking on Bill Plympton's door

Woodstock Film Festival animation programmer Bill Plympton, one of America's most renowned and innovative animators, is getting ready for the world premiere of his new feature IDIOTS AND ANGELS.   The film sketches a Lynchian dark comedy about a morally bankrupt man scrabbling to hide the good in himself - which manifests itself in a pair of angel wings that just won't go away.  I have not seen it yet, but from everything I know about it so far, its supposed to be really great, a bit reminiscent of PERSEPOLIS.



Bill is always so cool and collected, it has been fun to see him getting excited and nervous about his upcoming premiere.  He and I talked a few times in the past few weeks as he's been getting ready, talking about the right PR representation for the film, sales reps, getting the buyers to come see the film...  I mean, as far as I'm concerned, everyone knows and loves Bill!  I know they will all come, who could possibly miss it? But premieres are always nerve wrecking no matter what, and you always have to do as much as you possibly can for your film.  Even Bill...  I plan to do my little best and invite all the buyers I personally know to come and join me at Bill's first screening at Tribeca and at the party to follow.  Until then, I keep my fingers crossed for him as I'd love nothing more than to hear that IDIOTS AND ANGEL sold immediately after its first screening.  So here is to Bill!


Of course I hope to show his film in Woodstock!  We'll see what happens after the dust settles following Tribeca.


In the meantime, there are many other films and filmmakers connected to the Woodstock Film Festival and the Hudson Valley region who will be participating in Tribeca, each one with his or her exciting story.   I've been so busy with work on the Woodstock Film Festival these days, with its various year round screenings and activities, that I did not get the chance to wrap my brain around the Tribeca programming, activities, parties and networking yet, but I will do so soon. I look forward to seeing many Woodstock alumni at Tribeca and discover many exciting new works.






No comments: