Thursday, January 17, 2008

day one


So the first day started at 4 a.m., when my cell phone rang to tell me my flight was delayed ... great. That meant I was up at 4 a. m. — working.

Newark airport was filled with Sundance-bound travelers. Film critics from Esquire, Time Out, US Weekly ... filmmakers, distributors — and some skiers, of course, too.

After a two-hour delay, we finally took off, to arrive five hours later in Salt Lake City, Utah. And as I was being called to my shuttle from Salt Lake to Park City, a young filmmaker approached me and said: "Are you Meira Blaustein from Woodstock? Thank you so much for blogging about us!"
It turned out it was Seth from "The Linguists," about whom I wrote the day before. He and his colleagues have already read it. We all took the shuttle together; they were so excited about getting into Sundance for the first time!

Arriving in Park City, there were more familiar faces; from actress Melissa Leo to IFP exec director Michelle Byrd; from film critics David D'Arcy and Thelma Adams, to filmmakers Tanaz Eshaghian. As my friend (and former assistant) Rachel Katz and I happened upon a small reception on main street, we were greeted by James Schamus, president of Focus Features and writer/producer of most of Ang Lee's films, as well as actor Colin Farrell!
That was fun. We had a glass of wine and talked.

Getting my press pass and industry pass was crazy. Headquarters at the Marriot was a zoo. Everyone was there. I even heard that the Olsen twins are here, they have been spotted getting their luggage at the airport. And - watch out, Paris Hilton is here!!! Omigod...



Colin Farrell appears on stage before the screening of his film "In Bruges" at the Sundance Film Festival Jan. 17. The film was the opening night movie for the festival. (AP Photo/Amy Sancetta)


Well, I'm tired. Its been a very long day. The altitude is getting to me a bit, and the cold and snow everywhere slow things down.
Gotta get organized and then - some sleep would help.
Tomorrow is a big day. Until next time.




No comments: