Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One more day

Its Tuesday night. There is only one full day left for me here. On one hand I wish I could stay a couple more days, as there is so much more that can be done, but on the other hand, I'm dying to go home...

After 6 parties on Monday, Tuesday was mostly movies. 6 movies to be exact. After checking the Oscar nominations (huge congratulations to DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY, I'M NOT THERE, LARS AND THE REAL GIRL, WAR/DANCE, SALIM BABA and FREEHELD!), and going to headquarters to get my daily ticket for a public screening, I headed to the Yarrow for a P&I screening of FIELDS OF FUEL. A good film, an important film, focuing on bio diesel solutions, told from the point of view of one bio diesel pioneers and activist. Then it was off to TOWELHEAD, then Morgan Spurlock's humourus and probing documentary WHERE IN THE WORLD IS OSAMA BIN LADEN (let me give you a clue, he did not find him...). Getting into the theater they were giving out these great Osama Bin Laden milk cartons with M&Ms inside; I got two, one of each of my sons... I saw Morgan on the street later on and talked to him, he was great. I invited him to Woodstock, of course... From there I went to see MAN ON A WIRE, a wonderful documentary about world renowned tight rope walker Philippe Petit. I loved it. I saw it at a public screening, and was glad to see a good number of potential buyers in the audience. Hopefully we'll show it in Woodstock sometime. Then it was back to back narratives, CHOKE, which was bought by Fox Searchlight, and SUGAR, which is still up for grabs. A film critic friend told me it was her favorite movie in Sundance!

In between I managed to go to Main Street for the Sundance Channel party and the Film Aid International gathering. But even though I had a ton of other party invites for today, including one that starts at 1 am (I could actually still go there if I wanted too... not...), I decided to keep today simple, without too many parties. When you hang out on Main Street you basically go from one event to another, whether its a party or various gathering or just lounges, each with complimentary wine, liquor and food, so, while its great, it could be a bit much.

At this point many of the industry folks are getting tired, seeing movies and working non stop from morning to night, and many of them will be leaving tomorrow (and say they can't wait to do so...).

Also, the news of Heath Ledger's passing, which spread like wild fire throughout Sundance, filling everyone with a deep sense of sadness, added a sombre taste to the day.

I'm very tired now, and tomorrow, again, is a long day. I look forward to my breakfast plans with the producing team of BIRDS OF AMERICA, and then an afternoon meeting with the Netflix folks. Of course, there will still be movies in store, and parties. At night there is the NY Film Commission party, which is a huge one, starting at 10 pm. We'll see if I will make it, as I need to get up very early the following morning and head to the airport.

Until next time.

No comments: