Sunday, January 20, 2008

Movies and more movies

I think I'm getting the hang of going from venue to venue - from Headquarters at the Marriot in the morning, to  the Yarrow Hotel where two screening rooms are dedicated to press & industry screenings, which start daily from 8:30 am - 10:30 pm;  to Eccles, the biggest public screening venue, sitting 1300,  to main street where so many of the parties and filmmakers lounges and all sort of special events are happening morning till night.  The shuttle system here is really great, except when things get so crowded over the weekend and main street is just overwhelmed with folks looking to spot celebs such as 50 cents, who I just saw walking casually on Main towards one of the venues, or Jack Black...

The other night I left the Magnolia Pictures party just as Morgan Spurlock was coming in. Darn. That party was quite wild, with fog machine that filled up the whole condo where the party was taking place, causing the fire alarm to go off and the firemen and police to show up minutes later...  and Karakoe all night long, with film professionals letting loose...As I said, I left just as things were really heating up...

Saturday I ended up seeing 4 movies. Blind Date, by Stanley Tucci and starring himself and Patricia Clarkson was my 8:30 am. Very intense film, and they were both amazing in it.  I remember when Patty was in Woodstock, she was telling me about the film, thinking it might be goo for us.  I'm glad I got to see it.  

Rest of the day included THE GUITAR, written and produced by our friend Amos Poe, directed by Amy Redford, daughter of Robert Redford.  Then it was off to THE WACKNESS, which I saw with our friend Karen Durbin, film critic of Elle Magazine.  We both loved it, she was thrilled she got to see it as she will definitely cover it for Elle. And finally it was ORDER OF MYTH, a very nice doc I saw at the end of the day, along with many industry friends from NY, London, and even Rome...  I was happy to see the director of the London Film Festival there; she and I met in London a couple of years ago, talking about the possibility of collaboration between Woodstock and London, so it was nice to reconnect.

Anyway,  today is Sunday, and again, many screenings in store, along with some meetings, parties, and some surprises I'm sure.

Until next time.

No comments: