Friday, October 3, 2008

The Utz girl

The Utz girl, that little logo lady that adorns potato chips, pretzels, etc., has been following me around for months.

First it was the barrel of pretzels at the Journal City Desk pod, then it was that monster billboard at Yankee Stadium (maybe it just SAID Utz, with no girl), and now it is a short doc called "Bodega."

This film was very funny but was also biting satire. Two guys show how shop and eat at Bodegas in the bronx, paying less than a dollar for food that is in no way healthy - Utz products, cinnamon buns, quarter water, ice cream sandwiches. But they point out that the New York Times named The Bronx as the poorest community in the nation, or maybe it was with the most poverty....from census data. And they also thank a series of NY mayors, from Kock to Bloomberg, I imagine for creating the economic conditions that allow Bodegas, where you can buy quarter water for a quarter, then get a five-cent deposit refund, can exist....

Good stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the Utz girl is two-timing Mr. Peanut with you!

Anonymous said...

Hiya i am new to this. I hit upon this forum I find It positively accommodating & its helped me out loads. I should be able to contribute & support other users like it has helped me.

Cheers, See Ya About.

Anonymous said...

Hey i am fresh to this, I came upon this message board I find It incredibly accommodating & it's helped me so much. I should be able to give something back and help others like it has helped me.

Cheers, See You Later